Pages

Monday, January 21, 2008

Jane Austen Is My Hero

I watched PBS' Masterpiece last night (from 1 to 2:30 a.m., so this morning, really) of Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey as a part of their Complete Jane Austen series. In case you were not aware, PBS is airing a movie adaptation of every Jane Austen novel every Sunday from 9-10:30 p.m. (I caught the late late show) through April 6, I believe. I had not read the book and I hadn't really planned on watching the movie, but I got sucked in. And now, of course, I have to read the novel. (By the way, is there such as thing as reading too many novels? I think not.) And, generally speaking, I am not much of one for older British films on PBS (which is the reason I didn't watch last week's commencement of the series: Persuasion). I have no idea when this version was made, but it looked like it was pretty recent (I think it was last year, but don't quote me on that). Here's how you know I liked it: the minute it was over, I would have watched it again. And I'd watch it again today if that was possible. However, to buy this move from PBS, it's $25, which is pretty pricey for any movie.

Did anyone else watch this last night? Or see Persuasion last week? What are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment