Pages

Friday, October 17, 2008

Vampire Lore

Want to hear a particularly good phrase from Dracula? "...the vampire's baptism of blood." Creepy, no? And, in case you were wondering about other particular vampire "facts" I have compiled a list (ok, I'm quoting from the book) of Bram Stoker's idea of what categorizes a being as a vampire.

1. Immortal.
2. Drinks blood to sustain himself.
3. Seems to become younger physically when he has recently drank.
4. Does not make a shadow.
5. No reflection.
6. Incredibly strong (Dracula is apparently as strong as 20 men).
7. Can transform himself into a wolf (which makes me wonder about the werewolf vs. vampire theory).
8. Can transform himself into a bat.
9. Can become a mist in order to pass unnoticed.
10. "He come on moonlight rays as elemental dust..." So, however you want to take that - he becomes dust specks, I guess.
11. Can slip through even the tiniest of spaces.
12. Can see in the dark.
13. Cannot enter anywere unless he is first invited, but then he can come and go as he pleases.
14. He has no power during the daylight.
15. "If he be not at the place whither he is bound" (so I think that means his coffin) "he can only change himself at noon or at exact sunrise and sunset."
16. "...he can only pass running water at the slack or the flood of the tide."
17. "Allergic" (my choice word) to garlic, crucifixes, or any other sacred thing.
18. A stake through the heart will kill him.
19. So will cutting off his head (although I think that would be an easier task if the stake is already in there).

I just thought I'd pass on these interesting tidbits because I know some of you have read Twilight and I always like to compare and contrast. Plus, it's October and a good month to be interested in things like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment