Pages

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Once

I just remembered that I forgot to post about the movie Once! I'll begin by saying it was nothing like I expected. IMDb says it's "A modern-day musical about a busker and an immigrant and their eventful week in Dublin, as they write, rehearse and record songs that tell their love story." I think that's pretty accurate. I'd also like to add that during the very first scene I was sitting there just staring and thinking, "What did he just say?" So you might want subtitles. I managed to get along without them, but I know I missed a few things. Also, it's a bit different than what we usually think of as a "musical." The whole idea is this guy is a songwriter/guitar player and he meets a girl who can play piano. They start to play his songs with both instruments, which leads to a) them falling in love and b) him taking his music to a whole other level. They play a good soundtrack's worth of songs during the movie, and it's kind of like watching a long music video. It's definitely interesting and something you're not going to see in a mainstream Hollywood movie (I got the impression this was an Irish independent film, but since I don't really know that much about Irish movies and filmmaking, I might be wrong about that). It won an Oscar for Best Original Song, which I think is pretty cool. I think I would buy the soundtrack if I happened to run across it in a store. The music is really good and the movie is worth more than one watch (even if I haven't done that yet). In any case, if you're looking for something a little different from what you typically see at the theaters, it's a pretty cool movie to experience.

1 comment: