Today, my puppy turns two years old. I can't believe it. Where did the time go?
Tonight I baked her homemade dog treats. It's a really simple recipe, and I took pictures throughout the process.
Here's what you'll need:
2 cups flour (I used whole wheat this time but used regular white flour the first time)
1 cup rolled oats
1/3 cup peanut butter
1 1/4 cup hot water
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Mix dry ingredients.
3. Mix the peanut butter and hot water into the dry ingredients and knead well.
4. Spread flour onto a clean surface so the dough doesn't stick when you roll it out.
5. Roll out the dough to 1/4" thick and use your favorite cookie cutters to cut it out.
6. If you'd like to be fancy, you can put an egg wash on them to make them shiny.
7. Bake on a lightly greased cookie sheet for 40 minutes. (Don't mind the disgusting-looking oven.)
8. You can let them cool overnight if you want, but Lizzie couldn't wait that long, so I cooled them on a wire rack, and that took about half an hour.
Lizzie inhaled her treat! I almost couldn't get a picture snapped fast enough before it was gone.
Yield: Around 2 dozen, depending on the size of your cookie cutters.
I found this recipe here. It says you can store these treats in an air-tight container at room temperature for one week, in the refrigerator for 3 weeks, and in the freezer for up to 6 months.
To see Lizzie through the years, click on the Lizzie tag in the side bar on the left. Lots of pictures and videos!