Pages

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

My Letter to Stephenie Meyer

I've never written a letter to an author before, and it doesn't look like this one is really going to count, either, since I can't find an address of any kind as a way to send this to her. Because of that, I've decided to post it to my blog in the extreme off-chance that she or someone she knows happens to miraculously stumble upon it. If you haven't heard about the event discussed, go to stepheniemeyer.com and read the sad news for yourself.

Dear Ms. Meyer,

While I'm not sure how to really start this letter, I first want you to know that I am truly sorry about the issue you recently had with a leaked copy of Midnight Sun. I actually didn't hear about it until a few days later when I was flipping through Facebook flair. Somewhere around the thirtieth page (don't judge me too harshly--I was sick and could only conjure up enough energy to click the mouse) I came across a piece that mentioned it. I immediately went to your site to confirm, and I was extremely disappointed to learn that you really had put the book on hold indefinitely. I, and I know many, many other fans, were really looking forward to this book. Not only do I think it would truly complete the saga, but it would be very different from anything else that's out there. We as readers rarely get to experience a full story from anything other than one character's viewpoint, and Midnight Sun would be something different, a break from the norm. Something unique and much anticipated.

I do understand your need to take some time away from the project, however. I would love to be a published author someday, and I cannot imagine what it must feel like to have your trust and privacy disregarded like that. I, probably, would not want to move on with my story after so many unauthorized people had read an unfinished, unedited copy. However, I truly believe that you shouldn't discontinue the story forever and leave the vast majority of your fans, those that are loyal to you and to Twilight, in the dark. When I heard that a copy had been leaked, I didn't search for it. I went to your site, and only when I saw that you had posted it did I read it. In fact, I spent all night reading it (which is not the best idea when you're sick, but I really couldn't help myself). It's just as captivating and intriguing as Twilight, and I really, really want to hear the rest of the story. And I know the rest of your fans do, too. The leak is terrible, not just for you, but now for the millions of fans that are being punished for a stranger's injudicious actions. I really hope that you will not hold a few people's mistakes against the rest of us. We have been waiting for this for a long time, and we can easily wait a while longer, however long you need to eventually, hopefully, want to continue with it. I do hope that someday you will complete it and that someday after that we will all be able to read it and have our own copies sitting faithfully next to the other four books in the saga.

I almost didn't read the copy of Midnight Sun that you posted, because I knew I would want to read the whole book, not just part of it, and if I started it would drive me crazy to not know the rest of the story (which is exactly what happened). However, I did decide to read it for two reasons. One, you had posted it and therefore it was not unlike the chapters you had posted before. They had your authorization to be there. Secondly, I just couldn't help myself. I want to know Edward's side, and I don't want the Twilight Saga to be over already. (I was actually really sad when I finished Breaking Dawn because it felt like the end. I didn't want to be done with the Twilight world or its characters.) Midnight Sun was something to look forward to, to know that it wasn't quite over yet--that there was still more to learn.

While I hope you understand that I respect your decision and feel truly sorry that this happened, I hope even more that you will eventually feel compelled to finish the story and let the rest of us enjoy it with you. We all love Twilight (not as much as you, I'm sure, but pretty close) and it would really be a shame to leave something so loved unfinished. I don't expect this letter to sway your decision, but I do hope that you at least take it into consideration, and know that there are those of us who will support your decision, whatever it may be.

Sincerely,

Amy _________

No comments:

Post a Comment