Pages

Monday, December 17, 2012

You Suck by Christopher Moore

Waking up after a fantastic night, Thomas C. Flood discovers that his girlfriend, Jody, is a vampire. And now he's one, too. Instead of getting pissed off (okay, he's a little pissed), Tommy decides to embrace his new undead-ness and subsequent "super powers" because he and Jody are in love, like love love. Learning how to maintain a relationship is the least of their worries, though, because the vamp that turned Jody wasn't supposed to be adding members to their exclusive club. Plus Tommy's friends aren't too keen that he's now a vampire, especially the evangelical Clint. With the help of their new "minion", 16-year-old Abby Normal, Tommy and Jody set about making a normal life for themselves...if you can call running for your life and being a vampire normal.

I wasn't sure I was even going to review this book. I read it really quickly (it was the perfect book to read after Gone Girl). It's also a book I bought over the summer, so it fits my criteria for Reading My Own Books. But had I known it was the second in a series, I might not have even read it (I hate not starting from the beginning).

Ultimately, I almost didn't review it because You Suck is really, really bad. And I kind of didn't want to admit I was reading it. But then, as I got closer and closer towards the end, I didn't want to admit that I liked it. While I could see the poor writing and unconvincing plot, I couldn't put it down. The little things just didn't seem to matter. So what if the dialogue is bad if it makes you laugh? Who cares if the plot has holes a mile wide if the characters are hilarious (Abby Normal, I'm looking at you).

This book, I think, falls into the category of Guilty Pleasures. I can't believe I liked it, I can't believe I'm admitting it to you, and I can't believe I want to pick up the next in the series. Don't tell, okay?

3 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment