Pages

Friday, January 25, 2013

Top 6 Books of 2012

First, a disclaimer. These are the top 6 books I read in 2012, with no regard to whether or not they were published in 2012. And yes, yes, I know that most "top" lists are of the top 10 but, while I read a number of very good books last year, these are my absolute favorites. I don't want to diminish their significance by throwing in 4 more just to round out the list. These are the books that I would recommend in a heartbeat if you asked me for something to read. They are also in no particular order, and this is all purely my opinion. You have yours, and I respect that, so please respect mine.

How to Archer by Sterling Archer
- I love the show Archer on FX. I was determined not to like it when my husband first started watching it, but I was quickly converted. The book is a hilarious extension of the show, and it's impossible not to read in H. Jon Benjamin's voice. As an added benefit, it's actually quite informative (it's where I learned the difference between valet (pronounced val-ay) and valet (pronounced val-et)).
**Update** I just found out about the Archer app, and seriously? Best. App. Ever.

The House at Riverton by Kate Morton
- I love Morton's writing and this story is intriguing. It took awhile to drag me into it, but once the plot picked up I couldn't put it down. I look forward to reading more of her work.

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
- Such a beautiful book. The story is magical, the characters are lovely...I just love this book. It's one I read while borrowing from the library, but I intend to buy.

Babyproofing Your Marriage by Stacie Cockrell, Cathy O'Neill, and Julia Stone
- So many good things are in this book. My feelings were validated, but the authors also made sure to explain the husband's side. Having a well-rounded idea of the trials both partners are going through when they become parents is invaluable.

Rules of Civility by Amor Towles
- This book was beautifully written and depicted a decade (the '20s) that I adore.

Seabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand
- It is very unusual for a non-fiction book (and a biography at that) to entertain me. Seabiscuit did to no end. I felt as if I was reading a novel, and the story pulled me along and had me rooting for the underdog.

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
- Sucked in from page 1, I couldn't put this thriller down.

Tell me, what are the books you read in 2012 that you would push into someone's hands, given the chance?

*links are either to my own reviews or the publisher's or Amazon's website. Links are not affiliate.


No comments:

Post a Comment