Pages

Thursday, January 24, 2013

2013...A Bit Belated

Well, I didn't think I was going to actually write this post of my goals/resolutions for the new year, especially because January is now almost over, but apparently I am. Deal with it. ;-)

1. I'm going to try to hit 50 books this year. Now that Emily's a year old I have a bit more time (and energy) to read things that really interest me, and I'd like my book count to reflect that.

2. (Or really, 1a) I'd like to focus on non-fiction and classics. These are two areas I feel I need to bone up on in order to, in the case of non-fiction, feel like I'm still learning and becoming an intelligent human being, and in the case of the classics, become a well-rounded reader. This isn't to say I won't be reading fiction and YA, but I'd like the majority of my reads to be of the non-fiction or classic variety.



3. I'm determined to finally lose this baby weight. I gained 50(!) pounds with Emily and, while I've lost most of that, I was over my ideal weight when I got pregnant with her in the first place. I had done well over the summer, getting to the gym about 3 times a week, but I couldn't keep up with it. This time, however, I'm determined. Now that Emily's had her 1-year vaccinations, Keith and I feel comfortable taking her to the gym child care while I work out and this has actually been such a helpful, wonderful thing. I know I'm just down the hall if she needs me, and she's getting the benefit of socialization as well as the stimulation of a new environment. While she's being taken care of, I can take care of myself. To keep motivated I've started the Couch to 5K program. I'm really an off-and-on runner, but this seems like a good place to start again. I'm on week 3 and really loving it (my joints are protesting due to the extreme cold this week, but they're just going to have to tough it out). And finally, another reason to lose the weight...I told Keith that once I hit my goal weight (which is not a specific number but rather a general idea), I'd be willing to start trying for baby number 2. Go ahead. Tell me just how crazy I am. I'm keeping in mind it's going to take months to lose this weight, and that's if I stay motivated.

4. Finally, something I've been working on for awhile now, but I need to keep at it. I'm trying to stress less when it comes to Emily. I want to really enjoy this time with her, and I don't want my worries or stresses to prohibit us from having fun as a family. Case in point: we're discussing going on a couple of trips this year, and just the word "vacation" throws me into a tailspin of negative thinking starting with, "How will we stick to Emily's schedule on the road" and ending with, "It's just not possible." But the fact of the matter is it is possible, and it's going to be fun, and I need to just tell my brain to shut up.

So there you have it. There are other things I'd like to do, like blog more or keep a tidier house, but these are things that are ongoing, not just 2013 specific. I'd love to hear your goals for the year in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment