Pages

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Cleopatra's Daughter

I love historical fiction.  It's so much more interesting than the history books and when it's well-written, you don't even realizing how much you're learning.

Michelle Moran's Cleopatra's Daughter is the most recent historical fiction novel I've found that suits me.  Not only do I love ancient Rome and Egypt, but I've always been interested in the lives of those who lived during that time.  Cleopatra's Daughter is the story of Queen Cleopatra's twins, Cleopatra Selene and Alexander Helios, who are taken to Rome in chains after their mother and father, Marc Antony, committed suicide when they lost their kingdom to Octavian (later named Augustus).  What do the children of the most powerful couple in history do when they are suddenly under the rule of the man who defeated them?

Before the story begins, Moran provides a chronological list of details of the history of the time so we can get a sense of what's going on when the story kicks off, and in the Afterward she lets you know what happened to each of the main characters. I loved this, because I really felt like I knew what was happening and, after I'd grown attached to the characters, I was able to see how their lives played out.

At some points I did feel as if Moran had written her descriptions for a younger audience.  I know that she has to make it available to all readers; sometimes I just felt like I was reading a YA book.

4 out of 5 stars.  This is the best kind of historical fiction: the kind that makes you want to learn more.

5 comments:

  1. I adored this book and love your review of it.

    An award awaits you here

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have Cleopatra's Daughter on my tbr, so glad you enjoyed it. I can't wait to get to this one myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really look forward to reading this book. I've only heard good things about Michelle Moran, and I'm really enjoying historical fiction lately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I am obsessed with Cleopatra!! Totally gonna check this out. I read The Memoirs of Cleopatra by Margaret George last year and luuuuurved it. Thanks for your sweet comment about my vloggy Fridays. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love historical fiction. I agree, you don't realize how much you are learning. I took history courses and would learn the facts but I felt that my fiction books allowed me to live their lives. I really want to check out this book.

    Jennifer @ Mrs. Q: Book Addict
    http://web.me.com/quirion

    ReplyDelete