Pages

Sunday, December 12, 2010

My New Favorite Thing

Recently (okay, around Labor Day) I was the proud recipient of my very own Kindle. This is a gift I never would have bought myself (probably) but was the perfect gift from my husband. It was one of those things I had mixed feelings about. I liked the idea of the portability and not having to choose what book to take with me on a long trip, but I didn't want to give up the feel of a book in my hands.

Now that I have it, however, I can't imagine life without it. I still love the feel of an actual book, and if I love a book enough I'm going to buy the real thing. But this Kindle is a-mazing. I'm in love.

Here's a breakdown:

Pros: It's lightweight and I can read it in any position comfortably. It fits easily in my purse, which is a must for me because I take a book with me everywhere. I no longer have to wait in library hold lines or pay hardcover prices for new books. And the best part: tons of books are free!

Cons: It's not backlit (but neither is a book so that doesn't really count). The "locations" don't correspond to any page numbers so it's hard to reference a part of the book to someone who's read it in the physical format. I can't easily go back to a part of the book to re-read details that suddenly become relevant in subsequent chapters.

I will always be a fan of physical books, and I will not raise my kids on an e-reader, but this is one of the best pieces of technology I've had the pleasure to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment