Pages

Sunday, February 2, 2014

Currently #2

What I'm doing: Kind of listening to the Super Bowl, kind of listening to music, but mostly trying to decide whether or not to just go to bed.

Drinking: Decaffeinated green tea. Trying to be healthy. I'm finding it very difficult to stick to healthy habits, despite how much I really want to.

Reading: Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain. It's not as gripping as I thought it would be, so I haven't gotten too far into it.



52 Small Changes Update: This week's goal is to "have an optimistic outlook." For a perpetual cynic, this is a tough one. I started to keep a gratitude journal...that lasted all of 2 days. I try to find the bright side in every situation, but it's usually after I've already declared that the situation is terrible. So I guess this is something I should work on, huh?

Anticipating: I've been researching and looking into making a bunch of freezer meals so I won't have to cook once this little one comes along. I remember how hard it was to plan and execute a meal when Emily was born, and I'm hoping this will make things easier. That being said, I'm finding it stressful to think about cooking multiple large meals and then storing them in a cramped freezer and hoping they'll still be good defrosted.

Celebrating: 12 years with my best friend. He's truly my better half, my favorite person, my rock, and the love of my life.

Parenting: This week has been better with sleep, at least marginally. I've been working really hard to make sure Em gets to bed on time so she sleeps a full 12 hours. Naps are still hit or miss. But I guess this is the same as what they were before the toddler bed, so there's not too much of a difference. Other than the sleeping, I'm amazed daily at her verbal progress. She's putting whole sentences together and telling us whole stories. It's just incredible to watch.

Pregnancy: I'm feeling the third trimester sluggishness. I'm extremely frustrated in the limitations of my body, because I have all the motivation and I want to get so much done. But I'm exhausted, sometimes as soon as I wake up it seems, and I can't seem to wrangle a 2-year-old and get even tasks I'm looking forward to done. For instance, this morning I wanted to make a couple of freezer meals but even after 8 hours of sleep I was beat, and Emily was acting as if she'd had Mountain Dew for breakfast. It was all I could do to keep her from bouncing off the walls without hurting either of us. By the time she settled down there was no way I was doing anything but laying on the couch. I know the lack of exercise is going to make my recovery worse, but I just can't do it. It seems that this is the year I need to keep telling myself, "This too shall pass."

Looking forward to: A playdate with some mom friends on Tuesday. Hopefully the impending snowstorm won't derail those plans. It's always nice to hang with moms with kids the same age as yours. We're all going through the same things around the same time. I can't explain how invaluable this is.

What are you doing? Tell me in the comments or find me on Twitter!

No comments:

Post a Comment