Pages

Sunday, March 11, 2012

What's Your Number? by Karyn Bosnak

Delilah Darling is a tramp. When she reads a survey that claims the average woman has 10.5 sexual partners, she realizes she's had almost twice that many already. Vowing to cap her number at 20 and either find true love or live a life of celibacy, she begins a cross-country road trip that not only leads her down memory lane, but straight into the (sometimes crazy) arms of her past flings.


What's Your Number? was originally published as 20 Times a Lady, but was re-titled (is that right?) when the movie starring Anna Faris was released. I've never seen the movie, but I have to admit that this might be one of those cases where the movie is better. The plot was interesting (though predictable) and moved quickly. The characters were really what kept me reading, as each old boyfriend was crazier than the last. Delilah was tolerable...which sounds bad. She made a lot of bad decisions and it took her a while to get her head out of her ass, but she was lovable. Kind of like the friend that you just shake your head at and smile.

The main reason I say the movie is probably better is because of all the typos (at least in the copy I have, which is the motion picture paperback tie-in). I didn't even keep count of all the editing mistakes, but there was close to at least one per page. Things like misspellings, double words, forgotten words, etc. It was so terrible that by the end, all I could do was laugh. It completely took me out of the story (thankfully it wasn't one that I needed a lot of brainpower to get through).

All in all, this was a great book to get me back into the reading habit: light, easy, and predictable with a happy ending. 3 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment